The Yuba Sutter Region has numerous historic cemeteries for you to visit. Some Cemeteries have survivors of the ill-fated Donner Party, and some have Founding Fathers of the local communities. These cemeteries show the rich history of the Yuba-Sutter Region.
Fairview Cemetery is situated south of Marysville on Pacific Avenue, north of Trowbridge Corners and about five miles northeast of Nicolaus in Sutter County. The earliest stone belongs to Mary Elle Berry, who died in December 1861 at the age of 20.
Hunter Family Cemetery
The Hunter Burial Site is located 14 miles south of Meridian on Cranmore Road and south of Carroll Road. The site contains only two graves, that of Enoch Hunter who died in 1865 and his brother Jerry who died in 1867.
Live Oak [Map]
This cemetery is located about 1/2 mile west of Live Oak on Pennington Road. Several listings of stones in Live Oak exist. Surveys were made in 1932, 1939 and 1977. There are no early sexton records. The earliest tombstone is for Katherine Kustukowick, August 1858.
The Meridian Cemetery is situated just south of the town of Meridian on Meridian Road. The earliest stone is dated 1878. Meridian Cemetery is managed by the Sutter Cemetery District. Call (530) 755-0346.
The Noyesburg Cemetery is located on the west side of the Sutter Buttes off West Butte Road. The earliest tombstone is that of Annie E. Gilpatric, dated December 1868.
The Pennington Cemetery is located in North Butte. It is approximately six miles west of Live Oak off of Pennington Road. There is a sign on Pennington Road indicating the cemetery. The earliest tombstone is one "in memoriam" of Sylvanus Sanborn, who died in 1859.
Stohlman Cemetery [Map]
This cemetery is located west of Sutter. It is just east of South Butte Road, about 1/4 mile east of the old "Long Bridge". It is a small, family cemetery. The earliest gravestone is marked 1859. It belongs to Babthena E. Gray, wife of B.C. Gray.
Sutter Yuba Memorial Park [Website]
This cemetery is located adjacent to the old Yuba City Cemetery on the south side of Bridge Street.
Yuba City Cemetery & Mausoleum [Website]
The old Yuba City Cemetery is located between Aylor and Bridge Streets in downtown Yuba City. The earliest gravestone, dated February 1850, belongs to George and Jane Hanson.
Browns Valley Cemetery
Browns Valley is a small community about 12 miles east of Marysville near the intersection of Highway 20 and the Marysville-Dobbins Road. The cemetery is to the left of the Highway on the first paved road after passing the intersection of the Marysville-Dobbins Road. The earliest marker is 1866.
Brownsville Cemetery [Map]
Brownsville is located in the northwesterly part of Yuba County near the Butte County line. It may be reached from Marysville by taking Highway 20 east to the Maryville-Dobbins Road (E21) until Dobbins Road turns east. At the junction, take Willow-Glen Road, which then becomes E21 and continues on north to Brownsville. The earliest marker is dated 1861.
Located on New York Flat Road north of the creek crossing on James property, near NY Flat School Site (no stones). Earliest marker is dated 1842.
Camp Far West Cemetery [Map]
Located at the Monument placed outside Wheatland at the former site of Camp Far West. Turn east off Highway 65 onto Main Street, which turns into Spencville Road.
Camptonville Cemetery [Map]
Camptonville is a mountain community located on Highway 49 north of Grass Valley and Nevada City. One civil war veteran, John Purcell, was buried here before the cemetery was surveyed, so the fence was built around his grave. Elmer S.R. Hall, who was born in 1880 and died in 1941, reportedly has two stones in this cemetery. One is for his leg, which was removed and buried after it was crushed in an accident with a runaway horse. The oldest known grave is for George W. Carather of Oakland Co., Michigan, who died in 1851 at 18 years of age.
Dobbins Catholic Cemetery [Map]
(Sacred Heart Church). This cemetery is located in the Catholic Church Yard in the Dobbins Community off Highway 20, east on Marysville-Dobbins Road. The oldest marker is dated 1897.
Dobbins Keystone Cemetery [Map]
Also known as Indian Ranch Cemetery, this cemetery is located on Indian Ranch Road, which connects to the Marysville-Dobbins Road below Dobbins near the State Forestry Station. The oldest marker is dated 1897.
Godfrey Ranch Cemetery [Map]
Miscellaneous markers are found northeast of the Godfrey Ranch atop Galina Hill, approximately two miles north of Camptonville. The earliest marker is dated 1854.
Lewis Krohn Cemetery [Map]
This cemetery is on Smartville Road leading to Grass Valley from Beale AFB, three miles from Highway 20.
Marysville City Cemetery [Map]
This Gold Rush cemetery is located on the east side of Highway 70 at the north end of Marysville city limits (outside the levee). The oldest city-owned cemetery west of the Mississippi River, burial place of some 10,000 people, is a state site of historical interest. The earliest burials here are Harriet Murphy Pike (Mrs. Michael Nye), who, at age 21, was a member of the ill-fated Donner Party and walked for 32 days from Lake Tahoe to Wheatland to seek aid for her family and co-travelers; Edward Duplex, the first African-American mayor (elected in Wheatland, 1868) of a city on the Pacific Coast; former Japanese Minister Charles DeLong; Marysville founder Charles Covillaud; and Wells Fargo driver George Hackett, who once bounced buckshot off the scalp of renowned stagecoach robber Black Bart.
Peoria Cemetery [Map]
This cemetery is located on the east side of the Marysville-Dobbins Road, approximately 4 miles from where the road meets Highway 20. This junction of the Marysville-Dobbins Road is approximatley 10 miles east of Marysville via Highway 20 east. The oldest marker is dated 1857
St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery [Map]
The Catholic Cemetery is located on the west side of Highway 70 across from the Marysville City Cemetery. It contains the site of Mary Murphy Covillaud, another survivor of the ill-fated Donner Party and a sister to Harriet Murphy Pike. It is from this Mary that Marysville has borrowed its name.
Smartville Catholic Cemetery [Map]
This cemetery is on a small side road that connects Highway 20 at Smartville to Smartville-Hammonton Road. The earliest tombstone is dated 1864.
Smartville Masonic Cemetery [Map]
This cemetery is located just outside the community of Smartville on the Smartville-Hammonton Road. The oldest marker is 1859.
Stawberry Valley Cemetery [Map]
Located at the edge of this community as one goes toward Marysville off Highway 20 on Marysville-LaPorte Road. The earliest marker is dated 1856.
Waldo (Cabbage Patch) Cemetery [Map]
Follow the Smartville Road from State Highway 20 toward the Grass Valley Gate entrance to Beale AFB. Turn left about 5.4 miles after leaving Highway 20 onto Waldo Road. Follow this road until you cross an old iron bridge. The cemetery is a short distance past the bridge on the left side of the road. The earliest marker is dated 1842.
Wheatland Cemetery [Map]
This cemetery isolated about one mile west of Wheatland on the Wheatland-Rio Oso Road off Highway 65. The earliest marker is dated 1845.